Sunday, November 7, 2010

Oak Park

Jeff and I took a quick trip up to Chicagoland this weekend to see my brother Jim and his fiance Jeanie. We had a wonderful dinner with J&J and my sister Patti and her husband Paul...I guess that would be P&P, and worked through all the taboo subjects and problems in the world. My children were shocked when I told them that we stayed up past 12:30am drinking wine, retelling family stories and singing show tunes. Ok, that might have been just the sisters doing the singing, but I'm sure at some point, someone else must have joined in.

We met up around 10am, and some people were moving a little more slowly than others, and headed to Oak Park to the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio. It was someplace we had all wanted to visit but never got around to seeing and we were not disappointed. The house was interesting, but the studio was pretty spectacular.

And speaking of spectacular, we could not have been blessed with a more beautiful day. The neighborhood walking tour was even more enjoyable because we were surrounded by gorgeous autumnal colors. However as you can see, none of my photographs reflect that fact. Just take my word for it.

Since inside photography is a no-no, I had to be satisfied with a few "artsy" outdoor shots and I thought I'd share. What a great way to enjoy a beautiful autumn afternoon in Chicago.


One of "The Boulders" by sculptor Richard Bock, that grace the entrance to the studio.




Another sculpture near the entrance to the visitor's center and the acorn trim on the Moore House


3 comments:

Bridget said...

I guess that would make you B&J lol.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun little weekend! Did you see this article today on yahoo? How ironic that you were just there!

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-best-neighborhoods-2010.html

Next Door to Normal said...

Very interesting Meaghan. We were wondering how much one of those little houses would go for....quite a bit I suspect.