Ok, I bribed them with the promise of Krekel's for lunch. For those of you unfamiliar with the culinary delights of Decatur, Illinois, Krekel's is an institution that specializes in deliciously greasy hamburgers and the best soft serve lemon ice cream...ever. We went to our favorite location by Nelson Park, sat at the picnic tables and after we devoured our burgers, fries and ice cream, we headed to the cemetery.
Calvary is a very old cemetery with only one entrance which also serves as the exit...a fact that used to drive my Dad absolutely crazy on Memorial Day weekend when he and my mom would visit her side of the family. He'd make derogatory remarks about the Irish and the Catholics (well, both really) and make unkind comparisons to the very orderly cemetery across town where his (Protestant) family members were buried.
In addition to entrance/exit, the headstones aren't always in rows and every other one is facing in a different direction. If there ever was a master plan, it's been long forgotten. I'm sure when they planted the first person, the cemetery was on the outskirts of town but now the town has grown up around it. Calvary butts up against the campus of Millikin University and the area called Priest's Circle (guess who's buried there?) is now in the shadow of the press box of Frank M. Lindsay Field. It's not the most tranquil spot.
Anyway, we found who we were looking for. My maternal grandparents, two sets of great grandparents and one set of great, great grandparents are all buried there. How convenient for me! Here are a couple of examples. So I download these to my computer and then post them on my Ancestry Family Tree and...too much information? Ok, I'll stop. I really get on a roll during the summer because I just don't have the time during the school year.
We took our pictures and after about a half hour, the clouds began rolling in and lighting was flashing all around. We decided to wrap up our little adventure but we before we got in the van I snapped a couple shots.
This may be the coolest cemetery photo I've ever taken...too bad there weren't any orbs!
7 comments:
Sorry I couldn't go with you - but motherhood called! We'll have to make the trip to Farmersville (?) sometime soon and do some more sleuthing. I love cemeteries, too!
Thanks for the peaches - they are delish!
Love you
Whoa, Barb. That's an amazing shot! I'd frame that one. And what a great experience for the boys.
Great picture! Funny that you could bribe the boys with Krekels- I think Ben could be bribed to do just about anything if Krekels were involved.
I well remember going with Dad in the old blue Chevy station wagon to the cemeteries on Memorial Day. The "way back" was always filled with coffee cans full of peonies (covered with ants). Simpler times.
Ron has recently joined Ancestry and is becoming obsessed as well (only with Germans). We need to hook up trees. Love you. Sandi
Awesome picture! Have you ever been to Savannah? There are some great cemeteries there, too. Really, really old headstones. I was in Decatur this weekend...why didn't I think of getting Krekels?? My mouth is watering just thinking about their lemon cones (with sprinkles, of course)!
What a great story!
I love cemeteries, too. You should try visiting Greenwood sometime for some great Decatur and Civil War history.
I have lots of memories visiting Calvary with my grandma and great aunt. One of my favorite ones is going back about a week after Memorial Day with my grandma and her friend to collect the silk and plastic flowers that were heaped into a pile where they removed them to mow. Grandma would collect an armful for next year. I used to be embarrassed - now I think she was pretty smart. She was recycling way ahead of her time! Now she "resides" at Calvary....
Cool picture. I think you were standing near my Granny O'Shaughnessy when you took it!
Post a Comment