I've decided that living in the moment is my goal for the summer...and the accompanying Zen photo is the best that I could come up with. This revelation comes about because watching the news and attempting to plan short and long term life events seems to be futile and it is stressing me out big time!
Here's my story...
Many of you know that we are a part of a group of extended family members who will be vacationing in Gulf Shores in two weeks. Not the best choice of vacation spots this year but we didn't know that when we booked the 7 bedroom beach house back in February. So every day I check the blogs and the Facebook updates and listen to Anderson Cooper explain how the oil spill is going to change the face of the Gulf Coast forever. The idea of using solvents to remove tar from the bottoms of my feet after a long walk on the beach is not the way I envisioned our vacation. Of course, after making that statement, I feel guilty for complaining about our vacation plans when so many people, animals and the entire ecosystem are suffering. Whatever, it's the Catholic in me.
Another example, a few weeks ago I decided that taking a class on improving reading comprehension sounded like a productive idea for the summer. A few days later, I decided that since funding from the state of Illinois is sure to dry up soon, I should pursue my National Board accreditation this summer. So next week I have class four out of the five days, I'm worried that I won't get everything done and am now wondering why the hell did I sign up for all this?
Finally, this week I had a health scare. While one side of my brain knew that everything would turn out ok, the other side had decided that I probably had cancer. Visions of my mom's illness and her last days continued to meander through my waking and sleeping moments and by the time I arrived at the doctor's office my blood pressure was into numbers I had never experienced before. Don't think there is a mind-body connection? Think again.
This litany of gripes brings me back to my main point, I need to try and live more in the moment. I'm guessing lots of other people feel the same way too so after a little research I've decided that I'm going to make a few small changes and see if my anxiety level drops a bit. Care to join me?
To avoid worrying about the future, focus on savoring the present.
This usually involves one or more of your senses and can be as varied as luxuriating in a long hot shower, slowly consuming a piece of fine chocolate or singing (loud and proud!)along with your favorite band as you're driving to work. I know, it sounds silly but it's a start.
If something is bothering you, move toward it rather than away from it, accept the feeling.
Don't let your secondary emotions overwhelm you, i.e. "I'm stressed because I'm so stressed!" Accept the feeling and allow the emotion be there. Be open to the way things are in each moment without trying to manipulate or change the experience. The moment itself can only be as it is. If you try to change it, you will only become more frustrated and exhausted.
Know that you don't know or practice engagement.
Ever been on the road and then suddenly wonder if you've passed a certain mile marker? I used to drive Route 51 between Decatur and Bloomington several times a week. More than once I've wondered aloud if I've passed through Clinton or Wapella. This is an example of being on autopilot. By paying attention to the surroundings, one can develop the habit of always noticing new things in any situation. This process creates engagement with the present moment and releases a cascade of other benefits. Noticing new things puts a person emphatically in the here and now.
So these are just a few suggestions that I plan to put into practice. I completely stole these from a Psychology Today article, here's the link http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200810/the-art-now-six-steps-living-in-the-moment
Let me know if you've tried any of the steps suggested and if your efforts have made a difference. I'm going to try...and maybe stop watching the news.
1 comment:
I like reading your blog. I think living with anxiety or feelings can mean a need for change. But one thing I have done to stay connected is to walk backwards - seeing the same thing but see it in a new way. Wondering if driving backwards will function similarly. Perhaps. Minimally, I'd observe the road I am on :-)
Do you have a list of rentals or a phone number contact for Gulf vacation spots?
Post a Comment