Saturday, August 23, 2008

We've Come Full Circle


Back in February 2007, we bundled up the kids and drove to Springfield to watch Obama declare his candidacy for President of the United States on possibly the coldest day in memory. At the time, although both Jeff and I really liked him, we didn't think he had much of a chance to win the nomination. Everyone pretty much assumed Hilary would get the nod. So much has changed.

This afternoon, we (Sam, his girlfriend Sarah, Joe, Will and I) slathered on sunscreen and wore our coolest clothes and drove to Springfield to watch Obama introduce Joe Biden as his running mate.

Unfortunately, Jeff is in Michigan but was checking in with us via cellphone. We moved quickly through security and literally moments later Obama was introduced. Now I know most of us are pretty jaded when it comes to politics and maybe you're not an Obama fan. However, one would be hard pressed not to be affected by the atmosphere. I have no idea how many folks showed up but the crowd was enthusiastic and even with the very hot temperature and killer humidity, everyone was so polite. There was definitely a positive vibe.

I started tearing up when they played Bruce Springsteen's The Rising as Obama was introducing Joe Biden. The song is from the cd that Bruce wrote after 911 and it's one of my favorites. I got really emotional during Biden's speech but was relieved when I looked around and saw at least five other people (ok, mostly women) wiping away tears. It was powerful.

I guess my biggest goal in all these trips to Springfield is to create some really great memories for the boys and help them to appreciate the incredible country in which we live. So regardless of your political affiliation or lack thereof, I respectfully encourage you to vote this November. It is an awesome obligation and a blessing that not everyone appreciates.
Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barb!

I put your blog on my favorite places a while back when you sent me some stuff after your mom's funeral. I check it out sometimes. I was overwhelmed when I saw your enthusiasm for Obama. I've been "on board" since the beginning and have seen him 3 times. I am so excited for the convention and hope, for the good of the world, that he is elected. Hope all is well.

Rob

I took your Catholic quiz and I think you scored higher than me :)

Next Door to Normal said...

Wow. I'm not sure what that means for the future of the Catholic Church if I scored higher than Br. Rob!

Did you watch Michelle's speech tonight? I thought she did an amazing job. I'm ready to see a convention bounce!