It's been over a week since my ranting post about the stresses of starting the new school year. As it does every year, it all worked out just fine in the end. Why do I always seem to forget that?
Sam bought a car and I've been driving it. The car is a very cute 1996 Eagle Talon that just happens to be a 5-speed and Sam is now learning how to drive a 5-speed. He's adjusted quickly to the life of a college student and seems to really like his classes.
Joe loves middle school and has had no problems with the combination lock. Today was his first PE day (i.e. had to dress). He was puzzled that I would think the act of taking off his clothes in front of strangers in the locker room would stressful. Oh to be a boy!
Will is a very happy 4th grader, loves his teacher Mrs. Gill and is surviving quite nicely thank-you without his older brother around. Geothermal was installed over the summer and Brigham is now air conditioned! He starts soccer practice tomorrow and is mildly excited.
Jeff had a good trip to Detroit and made lots of connections with people involved with his new business venture. He was also able to stop by and see Grandma and Aunt Bonnie and enjoy a few beers with his Dad and Brian. Kathy and Don took good care of him and I think he liked flying solo and getting some time away.
And I'm adjusting to new students and a new schedule and lots of paperwork. I may still be in the honeymoon period but my classes and kids are great!
It's All Good.
Which brings me to the perspective part. My colleagues and I have been hit hard the last few days with terrible news about several friends and students facing life threatening health issues. Any time I hear myself bitching and whining I stop, think about the challenges they're facing and tell myself to get over it.
I read some advice somewhere that suggested when overwhelmed, we should divide our problems into ones we can do something about and ones we just have to leave up to God. I can handle a busy schedule and too much laundry and a messy house. I can even handle a wrecked car!
My husband and kids are healthy. I have loving and supportive friends and family. I need to remember to be thankful every day for the blessings in my life! Stress and worry are a part of everyday life but I'm really going to try and put it in perspective.
Enjoy your Wednesday :-)
1 comment:
Absolutely!! Last year taught me to enjoy the moment and that just when you think it can't get any worse, it does!!
I think about that every morning when I drive by the nursing home. I miss Mom every day, but I don't want her back if she had to be back in the nursing home.
Life can change in a flash and all the silly things that you complained about will seem just that, silly. My friend Sherry lost her daughter 5 years ago this September in a freak car accident. Monique would have been 32. I can't imagine never talking to Bridget again - I can't even say the words out loud. So, I think about Sherry when life gets messy and then I call Bridget and she makes me laugh.
Life is more stressful when you have teenagers - but hang in there, they grow up. It's worth the work. Love ya!
Post a Comment