
Saturday afternoon Patti and I took the last, big leap of faith and stopped by 56 LaSalle Drive to meet the new owner Becky. The visit has been in the works for months but for one reason or another we just didn't get it done.
During Mom's illness, Patti and I developed an unwritten code of behavior...we wouldn't make eye contact when one of us would start to get too emotional. We always figured at least one of us had to stay in control. So while standing next to each other on the front porch and not making eye contact, I know both of us were feeling a bit queasy.
However, once Becky opened the door and gave us each a big hug, we felt so much better. Honestly, Mom had a hand in all this. Becky loves the house and says that she immediately felt at home when she first pulled in the drive.

We brought her a bottle of wine (from a vineyard near Sandi's house...the absent sister was there in spirit) and a copy of the CD that Bridget put together for Mom's visitation. I told her that not only would the pictures give her a better idea of what Mom was all about, she could see the house in various color schemes, laugh at fashion and hairdos and get a good look at Dad in case he appears on the deck while she's mowing the lawn!
Rest assured the house is in good hands and I hope Becky and her friends and family enjoy it as much as we all did.
2 comments:
It made me feel better to know that the house continues to be loved. Becky and her friends talk about "Babe" all the time and wonder what she thinks about the changes. Only Mom would continue to exert her influence from beyond the grave!! I guess that Becky and her family came and looked at the house again in May before we had everything moved out. They found the calendar that Ric had made of old pictures and hooted with laughter over the picture of Dad in blackface. Becky recognized the downstairs bar in the pictures and they plan to resurrect it soon and party in the basement. It was good to see the house full of life again. I don't think we could have asked for a better person to buy it.
I'm glad that I didn't have to make the trip there by myself. What would we do without sisters?!!!
Thank you all for the kind words about me. I still continue to love that house and even as I am visiting my daughter in Oregon, I miss it! Take care, all, and come back and see me!!! Becky
Post a Comment