January is not my favorite month, and readers of the previous post already know that. However, it is my favorite month to plan vacations. Jeff has learned that while I talk about travel nearly all the time, my obsession clearly kicks into full gear come January. I've perused beach houses and big city apartments via homeaway.com while snow swirls outside my window and by mid January I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Our upcoming trip to Ireland has actually been a work in progress over at least two years. We started planning it for our 15th wedding anniversary in 2010 but obstacles kept presenting themselves and we decided to shelve the idea. When we picked up the idea again, the pieces just started to fall into place, and our plan is to go this June.
We've purchased at least five different books on Ireland and an atlas for our driving adventure, spent countless hours on various websites comparing all things Ireland and I've made reservations at four different bed & breakfasts in four different cities. The only thing I haven't done is purchase the airline tickets.
Now, if I had it my way, I would have bought them back in September but my traveling partner and I sometimes disagree. He feels we should always wait for a better deal and I feel we should...buy the damn tickets already! If you haven't already figured it out, I'm the impatient one in the partnership.
We really do balance each other out well. I'm a great planner and tend to get very wrapped up in the process of whatever it is I'm planning. He pokes holes in my theories and forces me to look at the choices available...and I'm not a big fan of having too many choices. I like to look at two or three options and then just do it. This sometimes serves me well but at other times and in other situations, I've been too impulsive. Jeff grounds me.
But now, I'm really feeling the itch to get these tickets bought and I won't feel like this trip is "really real" until that task is completed. Until I report that milestone, go ahead and enjoy the websites for the reservations I've already made. Take a look and see why I'm so obsessed with this upcoming trip!
Kilkenny-www.rosquilhouse.com
Kilarney-www.rosscastlebnb.com
Dingle-www.pax-house.com
Galway-www.petrahousegalway.net
3 comments:
I'm so excited/jealous of your upcoming trip to Ireland! Will and I stayed in Kilkenny, Galway, and Dingle while we were there- these 3 little towns were among our favorite stops, so great picks! You must stop by The Field for a pint when you're in Kilkenny. John, the owner, was so great and fun (and very knowledgeable when it comes to American universities and sports teams). He talked to us for awhile and sent Will behind the bar to bartend for awhile, then pulled me onto a table to dance. And the dingle peninsula drive was stunningly gorgeous! Ahh! I want to go back!
Also, I think I told you this before, but if you want any help/advice/recommendations on what to do or where to stay, please don't hesitate to ask! I kept and extremely (sometimes painfully) detailed journal on our trip to Ireland- documenting where and what we ate, where we stayed, what we did and didn't enjoy, etc... I can always quickly reference my journal if you have questions! :)
I'm so excited about your trip! I know what you mean about getting the vacation-planning bug this time of year - Elizabeth was just showing me some awesome deals to fly to London over spring break! Tempting ...
Post a Comment