Sunday, January 2, 2011

January is my vortex. I've never liked this time of year, even as a kid. The holidays are over, everyone is headed back to school and work and I often joke (just ask my friends and family) that by the time my birthday rolls around, most everyone is fat, broke, depressed and believe me, no one wants to attend another party. Add to the fact that this year, my brother-in-law has been hospitalized with a serious illness and I'm constantly worrying about him as well as my sister. Oh and tomorrow is the third anniversary of my Mom's passing. Whoopee! Happy January! Pity-party...for one?

Luckily, I'm blessed with a great family and terrific friends and I believe that I really am a positive, happy person who occasionally gets down like everyone else. When I'm really on a downward slide, I tend to mentally smack myself around and point out to my whiny self, people I know with real problems, problems they cannot control. That usually helps. Then I go clean out a closet. My Mom always said that when she would get down, she'd go clean out a closet or mop the kitchen floor. You might still feel depressed she'd say, but at least you'll have a clean floor!

What's funny is, she was totally on target. I've been reading a book called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (thanks for the recommendation Leslie!) and she says much the same thing.

It's an interesting book with lots of useful tips that can be put to use immediately. For example, she recommends the One Minute Rule. What this means is when you see a task before you that can be completed in about one minute, you should just go ahead and do it. You will have accomplished something, no matter how small, and that feeling of accomplishment will carry on into other areas of life.

Jeez, didn't my parents say the same thing to me over and over as a kid? Stuff like "A place for everything and everything in its place" or "A job worth doing is worth doing well" or "Every crow thinks hers is the blackest"...OK that last one is weird and I never quite understood it, but you get my drift.

I guess what I'm saying is, everyone gets down or stuck or just feels like life isn't going the way it should. And often, it's difficult to even pinpoint what really is at the root of the feeling. Assuming we're not talking about major, clinical depression, often the first step in dislodging from the vice is a baby step. Make that call you've been avoiding. Organize your laundry room. Get on the treadmill.

January is my vortex but I'll continue to remind myself to count my blessings, think positive thoughts and take lots of baby steps. Spring break isn't all that far away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb, The clean closet, clean floor must be a gene we all inherited. I have spent the day putting away Christmas decorations and reorganizing a closet in the guest room. This led to cleaning out my shoes and getting my floor scrubbed. The entire house had been dusted and vacuumed. We washed and rehung living room and dining room curtains and cleaned windows yesterday. Tomorrow I can get up and not worry about finishing these tasks. Your mom always picked at least one task to accomplish each day. I try to follow her lead. I miss her. Joanie

Shannon said...

Great post, Barb. Something I was needing to hear :). And I feel better about the small things I accomplished this "break"! Millie's school is going to be doing a project centered around The Happiness Project book and the teachers recommended it to everyone. Guess I should put it on the Kindle! Happy New Year to you all!

Leslie said...

I am glad youa re enjoying The Happiness Project. I actually just decided to reread it- our talk on Christmas day reminded me how much I enjoyed it.
Hope January turns out to be a good month for you!
Love,
Leslie
Oh, on a side note- the kids listened to Cinnamon Bear on the drive home from Illinois and LOVED it! Thanks!