Sunday, December 5, 2010

Getting in the spirit....sort of

The snow began falling Friday evening, too late for a snow day (sorry boys) but timely enough to get us in the holiday spirit. Jeff and the boys and I took Scout for a walk in a snowy wonderland and it made me happy that the boys are still so enthusiastic about the first snowfall and spending time with their parents. I hope moments like this will be ones they will remember as adults...unplanned and free, just talking and spending time together.

Saturday morning, we bundled up and headed to our neighborhood Jewel for two hours of bell ringing for the Salvation Army. This is our second year of volunteering and the boys really enjoy it. As faculty advisor of Key Club, I ask my students to volunteer so by rights, I should be doing the same. Promising hot coffee drinks from Micky D's as well as a hot pizza from Domino's didn't hurt either. I was so proud of them, saying thank you and wishing folks Merry Christmas with no encouragement from Jeff or me.

After bell ringing, the boys and I headed to NCHS for the annual Madrigals. It's always amazing to see the amount and level of talent of our students. It was solemn and lovely and funny. Hearing Silent Night and watching the candlelit procession of young, enthusiastic faces certainly choked me up at the end.

By the time we returned home, I was ready for a nap! We ended up making spaghetti and playing Scrabble. Again, I said a silent prayer, thanking God that the kids still like to hang out with us, I know it won't last forever.

The older I get, the more melancholy the season becomes for me. It's hard not to think about Christmases past and family and friends too far away or no longer with us. I remind myself to live in the moment and create the new memories and that my old memories are seen through the hazy filter of childhood.
Hope you're enjoying the season and making new memories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean!!!! It is not the same as it use to be for any of us. I try to be thankful for my kids and Don and our grand babies and that we are all healthy.

But sitting here in Virginia I admit I spend more time than I should missing the people that are gone in one form or another. I was remembering your mom telling me about putting up her tree and how beautiful it was ha! I miss my friend!

Don and I wish you and Jeff and your boys a Merry Christmas!

Love,
Sally

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. Christmas is that odd combination of joy, contentment, solemnity and just a shade of melancholy, isn't it?

Nini said...

I hear ya, sista! I was thinking about Mom when we were getting our trees and how she loved the season. We were also laughing about Sam - remember when he got stuck in the mud at the tree farm? One of my favorite Christmas memories!!
Life changes and we don't have much choice but to go with it. I love the age Joe and Will are - savor every day because they are near the edge of that teenage "precipice" and time goes so fast. Looking forward to seeing you Friday and celebrating Christmas with you. Love ya, Patti