Thursday, June 17, 2010

Go Corn!

Last night we attended our first Cornbelters game and had a great time. What is a Cornbelter you ask? Let me explain who they are first and then I'll let you figure out who or what the mascot "Corny" is supposed to be.


The Normal Cornbelters are the new baseball team in town and are part of the Frontier League, the equivalent to A-level ball, and the league is made up of teams from towns in the Midwest not served by the Minor League. This all sounds like I know lots about baseball huh? Not so, I asked Jeff last night about innings and told him I thought it was a silly system and asked why didn't they have quarters like football and basketball. He actually called me a dumb broad! Ok, he really said it was a "dumb broad question" but my feelings were still hurt.

The Cornbelters have a beautiful new 12 million dollar stadium called the Corn Crib on the north side of town. Sam had five free tickets courtesy of his employer (thanks Class Act Realty!) so we invited Joe and Will's buddy Nicholas along and headed out to the ball park.



The boys had a great time watching the game and eating and running around and eating and purchasing 50/50 drawing tickets and eating some more. They are 11, 12 and 13 years old so all that is pretty much expected.




So back to the mascot, Corny.
He appears to be some sort of mutant, corn-based alien being with corn silks growing out of the top of his head. Based on past experience, he would have scared the crap out of my kids when they were little but they never much liked people in costume...or clowns. Don't know where they picked that up!

We plan on attending a few more games this summer, mostly at the urging of the boys, they really loved it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb, I can't believe how much Joe resembles Jim in the baseball picture. Maybe it is the hat??? I had to look twice. Joanie

Kiki Vogel said...

So glad to hear you had a good time!

Bridget said...

I saw the stadium on the way to the dells and thought it was new. I meant to ask you about it and now I know. I remember going to a Springfield cardinal game as a kid and it was exciting. I actually hate baseball but that is only because it is on TV every day during the season. Do you think there is a game on? yep I can pretty much guarantee it! I like going to the ball park!

Next Door to Normal said...

Joanie...I know there is a Jim connection must be all the freckles!

All the Decatur relatives need to come up for a Cornbelters game, it's really fun and cheap!
Kiki, keep sending those free tickets our way, we'll use them :-)

Nini said...

I love to go to baseball games (hint, hint). Next time you go, I'm there! I think Bridget and Will would go too and maybe even my husband! It looks like lots of fun.
And yes, Joanie - Joe does remind us of Jim - a sweeter, nicer Jim!

Next Door to Normal said...

Yeah, I was going to say "He sort of looks like Jim but thankfully he doesn't have his personality" but that would be mean right?

Everyone should come up for a game...and I didn't even post the pictures of people in taco and hot dog costumes dancing during the 7th inning stretch or former MLB player Fergie Jenkins throwing out the first pitch!