Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Prescription

January is not a glamorous month.

There are moments when January can be pretty (sparkling snow)or exciting(New Year's Eve...no wait that's in December) or inspiring (This year, I'm really going to get in shape!)

In short, January is a month filled with bills, broken resolutions and crappy weather.

But my birthday is in January and this year my husband (and love of my life) gave me a gift certificate for an hour long massage. I wasted no time in cashing it in (a week and a half) and this afternoon enjoyed a hour of bliss. I haven't had a massage since right after Will was born and that was over eleven years ago and considering the stress level at work lately, I was way overdue.

While relaxing face down on the massage table, I was really working hard at making my mind a complete blank. It's harder to accomplish than even I imagined! After awhile, it dawned on me that getting a massage is an activity that one's only responsibility is to accept pleasure. There are no moves to follow like in a yoga class or story lines to interpret while sitting through a complicated action/adventure flick. You don't have to dress up or even wear any clothes at all! All I had to do for an hour was attempt to think about absolutely nothing and let someone else do all the work...and it. was. great.

Now I just have to figure out a way to finagle a prescription and make this a medical necessity, let's say every 3-4 months. Need a way to at least temporarily beat the January blues? Dr. Barb says get a massage.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Your post made me want to go use the massage gift certificate I got for Christmas. :)