Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Joe's Personal Narrative

As a recent assignment in his 6th grade Language Arts class, Joe had to write a personal narrative. During an earlier discussion, he sort of scoffed at some of the other kids' topics..."Most of them are writing about how they broke their arm or leg!" Luckily, he didn't have that particular life experience to reflect upon.

In fact, Joe didn't even have to think twice about a topic for his personal narrative...as you can see. Jeff and I are so proud of him and we thought you might enjoy reading his story as well.




In the summer of 2007, my family, including my mom, my dad, my little brother Will and I went to Washington D.C. and we had a great time. But the highlight of my trip was someone I met and something I will remember as long as I live.

It was early in the morning, and it was the day we were leaving the city. So, we took the Metro (which is like an underground train) to the Senate Office Building.
We went inside and there was an enormous amount of people there. Since it was a breakfast sort of “thing”, there were donuts. Will and I went quickly to the donut holes and they were very tasty.

We sat down after we were done and then waited. Then, I looked up and there he was, Barack Obama. As he started to walk up on stage, everyone was clapping to welcome him. He started to talk about what he would do as the United States president.
Suddenly, the announcer came on saying that groups of people can go up and see Obama and can take a picture with him. I was thinking “Wow, I am going to meet the Senator”.

I came over in line with my family, then I realized the line was shorter than I expected.

The moment came when I came up to Obama and I was shaking nervously. I smiled as I reached out to shake his hand. I said “Hi, I’m Joe” to Obama, and then he reached to shake my hand and said “Hello Joe, nice to meet you”. He was very nice and friendly because he was smiling at me.

A professional photographer was taking the picture, so my parents didn’t have to. I smiled at the camera with my family as they were smiling also, and then they took the picture.

So, now it’s about a year later, and Barack Obama is the 44th president of the United States and now I can say “I met the President”. That memory I will remember forever. The picture is so special to me and my family that we now hang it on our wall to this day. We are going to have a great leader of our country.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great Job, Joe!! You have inherited your mother's way with words. I am very impressed!!

Anonymous said...

a whole family gay for Obama

Unknown said...

Joe,
What a great essay. You really write well, and that will serve you well whatever you decide to do. Some people are never able to communicate effectively (see comment above). I'm really proud of you. Your Aunt the English Major.

Next Door to Normal said...

Annonymous (aka Bridget) you're gay for Obama too. And in that context, I don't think it would be considered hate speech.