Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bahama List


Well, it's Sunday morning and we're on the other side of the half way point in our vacation. We've had a great time so far and have a few more activities planned before we leave. If the kids ever get out of bed (they will surely smell the pancakes), we'll hop on a jitney and head to Cable Beach. Cable is the main beach on Providence Island and is home to the big resorts like Sandals, Breezes and the Sheraton. We've tried to encourage Sam and Matt to go there on their own but they're a little reluctant...although Matt mentioned last night that they missed the bikini contest held yesterday. Don't know how they heard about that particular activity.

Tonight Jeff and I are going out to dinner, just the two of us, at a restaurant right next door called The Poop Deck. Even though it has a silly name, it is supposed to have really good food. We also want to try snorkeling off our back deck but want to wait until low tide, around 7pm. It should be a little less scary than drift snorkeling.


So, before we head out again I thought I'd put together a Pro and Con list for our Bahamas adventure so far....

Pro
-Our Condo: It's big enough for 6 people to spread out and the location on the water is great.
-The Water: Amazing, beautiful, everything I hoped it would be.
-Sunsets: Gorgeous and right outside our window!
-Bahamian People: Everyone (with a few exceptions) has been very friendly and helpful.
-Powerboat Adventures: A once in a lifetime experience we'll never forget.
-Seafood: The boys have become big fans of conch. Who would have imagined that?
-Pools: Both are great (one faces eastward and the other westward).
-Barbara: Our contact person and housekeeper has been a huge help in many ways. Plus, just mentioning her name saved us $60 with Powerboat Adventures.
-No Begging: See #1 in the Con list.
-Coconuts: Just finding them on the beach was cool!
-No cellphone: I thought this was going to be a Con but I've enjoyed not carrying mine around.
-Sunscreen: It works!
-Domino's Pizza: They deliver and last night the boys were very happy.
-Lizards: They're very cute and all around our the outside of our condo.
-Cooking: Making 2 of our 3 meals everyday is saving us a ton of money.
-Rum: I never knew I liked rum so much, especially flavored rum (coconut, raspberry, mango....)
-Kalik Beer: The local beer is pretty awesome.
-Flora and Fauna: Palm trees, hibiscus, lots of nameless flowering trees and plants...everything is so....tropical!
-The Accent: The Bahamian accent is very pretty but there is a local patois and most of the time I have no idea what people are talking about.
-Jeff's New Panama Hat: He's so happy :-)


Con
-Hustling: Everyone wants to sell you something and you learn quickly to say "No thanks" and move on.
-Driving: This could be considered a Pro since we don't have to drive anywhere...scary!
-Drift Snorkeling: We would have preferred just quietly snorkeling off the beach. The current was too strong for us.
-Location: While we love the condo and being on the water, it is off the beaten path and we can't easily walk anywhere. Although the boys did walk to the grocery store last night.
-Carriage Ride/Tour: Lame, we definitely don't recommend it.

The Pro's definitely outpace the Con's and I'm sure I will keep adding to this list between now and Tuesday...

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Your blog makes me really wish I was near beautiful blue water right now! Enjoy the rest of your trip, Koski family!